DOT Hazmat: Packaging
The objectives of this DOT Hazmat: Function Specific - Packaging course address the Federal Department of Transportation training requirements for 49 CFR 172.704(a)(2)(i).
Per 49 CFR 172.704(a)(2)(i)
Function-specific Training. (i) Each hazmat employee must be provided function-specific training concerning the requirements of this subchapter, or exemptions or special permits issued under subchapter A of this chapter, that are specifically applicable to the functions the employee performs.
At the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Distinguish between a "package" and "packaging" according to the HMR;
- Identify the shipper's package and packaging responsibilities, and any exceptions to these requirements;
- Describe special types of packaging, including generic and specific packaging requirements and exceptions;
- Understand the packaging requirements and exceptions related to limited quantities, agriculture products, materials of trade, and lab packs; and
- Identify packaging for damaged or leaking hazardous materials packages.
Section 1 - Course Overview
Section 2 - General Packaging Requirements
Section 3 - Air Shipments
Section 4 - Packaging Exceptions
Section 5 - Leaking or Damaged Packages, Hazardous Waste, and Overpacks
Section 6 - DOD Packaging