DOT Hazmat Carrier: Rail
The objectives of this DOT Hazmat: Carrier Requirements - Rail course address the requirements for the transportation of hazardous materials by rail found in 49 CFR Part 174 of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR).
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Compare the general operating requirements for the DOT and the railroad industry in general;
- Identify the exceptions for the transportation of hazardous materials by rail;
- Describe the information found in the Segregation Table for Hazardous Materials for rail transport;
- Identify the documentation needed for rail cars within a train containing hazardous materials;
- Illustrate the proper positioning of placarded cars in a train using the Placard Group Table;
- Understand rail industry restrictions as they relate to the transportation of hazardous materials, including speeds, routes, and inspections; and
- Identify incident/accident reporting requirements.
Section 1 - Module Overview
Section 2 - General Operating Requirements
Section 3 - Handling and Loading Requirements
Section 4 - Segregation of Hazardous Materials
Section 5 - Positioning of Placarded Cars in the Train
Section 6 - Railroad Industry Recommendations