24-hour EM 385-1-1 USACE Safety & Health
This course covers 17 sections of EM385-1-1 and can be taken completely online. Each section starts with a real life case study, emphasizing the importance of following the procedures and protocols.
There are no prerequisite requirements for this course.
Upon completion of this course, the participants will be able to:
- Enhance the awareness of Site Safety & Health Officers (SSHOs) and other project personnel performing work on Federal construction, service, and environmental contracts, and to provide all contractor on-site personnel an opportunity to obtain adequate knowledge to assess unsafe worksite conditions.
- How to properly prepare a site-specific Accident Prevention Plan (APP).
- How to effectively serve as a site safety health official (SSHO).
- Know what are the SSHO qualifications and responsibilities.
- Activity Hazard Analysis (AHA) forms and their development.
- Site personnel training, incident response and reporting procedures, job site auditing, and hazard communication.
Students taking this EM 385-1-1 Safety & Health online course will learn the following topics. More detailed and focused objectives are described within the content of each of the topics.
- Identify the major changes found in the 2014 Edition of EM 385-1-1.
- Select and use the appropriate PPE on USACE contracts and contracts executed under EM 385-1-1.
- Describe proper methods for material handling, storage and disposal.
- Describe proper equipment and methods for fall protection.
- Explain the requirements for safe access, use of ladders and protection for floor and wall openings.
- Describe proper methods for protection during excavation and trenching activities.
- Describe safe use of hand and power tools.
All quizzes must be passed with a 70% to proceed forward to the next lesson.
The final exam must be passed with a 80% to successfully complete the course.
Once you complete the course, you will be provided with a completion certificate which will be available through your My Training page. Please be aware the certificate is not an official document.